FUSION: DEFINING A NEW ERA OF FEELING AND PERFORMANCES
Ozone’s experience developing efficient ram air structures meant that the design team had the background knowledge to push the Fusion, both in terms of performance potential and physical design.
The 100% double surface ram air design creates an enclosed high pressure space between the entire upper and lower surfaces. The internal rib structure supports both sail layers and helps the wing smoothly deal with dynamic pressure differentials when the wing’s angle-of-attack changes.
Producing more lift, while reducing drag, means performance gains have moved in bigger steps and these improvements are revealed in far more areas than just locked-in, straight line speed. Through innovative construction techniques and the “ram air” principles integral to wingsuits, we’ve achieved a design that presents the wing and kite sector with a revolutionary perspective.
The Fusion wing is designed around the high-performance planform of the Flux, including the pre-loaded leading edge, which is made with a lightweight, stiff performance dacron and experiences drastically less deformation in strong conditions.
The Fusion’s 100% double surface ram air design creates an enclosed high pressure space between the entire upper and lower surfaces. The internal rib structure supports both sail layers and helps the wing smoothly deal with dynamic pressure differentials when the wing’s angle-of-attack changes.
WHAT IS THE BIG ADVANTAGE OF THE DOUBLE SURFACE DESIGN?
When the air travels over a wing it splits at the stagnation point on the leading edge. While the air that runs along the top surface has a clean and continuous surface to follow, the airflow on the bottom of a single surface wing creates vortices behind the leading edge. This turbulent underside flow creates drag which reduces performance.
A hot knife through butter…
The Fusion’s design has unlocked enormous performance potential. Producing more lift, while reducing drag, means performance gains have moved in bigger steps and these improvements are revealed in far more areas than just locked-in, straight line speed.
All performance areas are improved by the fact that the ride is incredibly smooth and predictable. The double surface absorbs gusty winds with unrecognisable ease and the wing generates so much more power with less need to sheet in hard. The double surface is less susceptible to luffing, so you can hold more wind and power than a single surface design while riding closer to the wind, which means you can go faster with incredible control.
On the water, you can feel truly free on the Fusion. Explore greater distances in less time while taking corners faster and tighter than you’ve ever experienced.
Tested by the best… “It feels like a hot knife through butter.” – Johnny Heineken.
THE FUSION IS FAST…THE FASTER YOU GO, THE MORE POWERFUL IT GETS, LIKE ACCESSING SUPERCHARGED PERFORMANCE
Who is it for?
The Fusion Wing is for riders that are proficient at tacking and gybing, sending and landing airs confidently and who generally don’t crash very often. It is for those who are ready to experience a new realm of winging where previously unreachable performance is now achievable.
Does it need a different riding technique?
As the wing carries more inertia due to the volume of air inside the wing, it does handle a bit differently to a single surface wing, but once you’re dialled in, the added benefits of increased range, power and previously impossible riding angles are undeniable.
Only subtle changes to your technique are needed to get in tune and start feeling performance gains.
The simplest rule to keep in mind is: just let the wing fly!
Initially, you need to become less reliant on cranking the rear handle for power. The more you crank the rear handle, the less you’re letting it fly, so we advise ensuring you’re well powered up for your first sessions. You’ll soon find you have more power without needing to sheet in as hard.
Is it heavy?
No. In fact the Fusion 5m weighs just 100 grams more than our Flux 5m wing!
The Fusion has a unique internal structure and uses more material than our single surface wings, but all our wings are always born as light as possible, thanks to high quality material placements and the expert sewing techniques developed in our factory.
Does it take on water?
The air intakes have been optimally designed to allow air in while preventing water entry. In the event that water enters the wing, there are four drainage holes located at the trailing edge; two near the strut and two at the wingtips.
We don’t recommend regularly submitting the wing to heavy, submerged wipeouts. We don’t advise it to be used as a wave wing in case a wipeout water logs it.
Can it be repaired?
Yes it can. Although repairing damaged sail cloth can be more complex and take longer than for a single surface wing, all seams can be accessed and the internal ribs are also not attached to the leading edge.
Zips next to the inflation valves on the leading edge and strut also allow for easy bladder replacement. More details to follow.
WHO IS IT FOR?
The Fusion Wing is for those who are ready to experience a new realm of winging where previously unreachable performance is now achievable. It is suitable for experienced intermediate riders and beyond who are proficient at tacking and gybing, sending and landing airs confidently and who have reached a level where they don’t regularly have major, out of control wipeouts.
The efficiency of the Fusion’s double surface wing design is notable at all times. It’s exceptionally fast, can be raced to the podium places easily and of course its speed transfers to incredible jumping height.
WHAT YOU FEEL:
- The superior efficiency of the 100% double surface design along with the culmination of all features on the Fusion wing elevate every element of the riding experience
- Engaged flying feel – this is an aerofoil like nothing you’ve laid your hands on!
- This wing is capable of exceptional upwind and downwind trajectories. As a result it provides unmatched racing performance
- High speed translates into remarkable elevation and airtime that has to be experienced to be believed
- The stiff airframe combined with the pressurised, no-flutter sail gives a smooth ride that’s further accentuated by the carbon handles
- Super smooth power management that becomes more and more potent
- While it’s more demanding to get going, especially in light wind conditions, the benefits of efficiency vastly outweigh the negatives
- You’ll get faster. Due to the reduced drag the wing keeps delivering more power the faster you go
WHY YOU FEEL IT:
- High-aspect-ratio design with swept leading edge planform
- Reduced drag due to additional entire lower surface with profile ribs sewn between both layers
- Pre-loaded leading edge with optimised sail shaping for a tighter canopy
- Reduced span in the larger sizes to keep wing tips from interfering with water surface
- Ergonomically angled, rigid carbon handles with EVA grip
- Soft bumper on front handle mount to protect your board and head
- Knuckle-guard on leading edge with de-power handle
- Factory Ownership Advantage – Ozone uniquely owns its own factory where all kites, wings, boards, hydrofoils, paragliders, speed wings and accessories are made. Guaranteeing hand checked quality control and the finest materials at every step, there are also excellent working conditions for all 1000 employees.
- Designed With OZ-CAD – The FUTURE is NOW – All Ozone kites are designed and developed using our own highly advanced custom built CAD software. Our designers are able to work with features specifically tailored to the unique forms and structures of technical Inflatable and foil kites. Part of our design team is dedicated to the upgrade of the CAD code and addition of new modules and features to the program as the development of our kites continues.
- Pre-Loaded Leading Edge – Using a performance Dacron material that is rigid and strong has allowed our designers to pre-load the leading edge and shape it to experience drastically less deformation under load. Combined with optimised sail shaping and horizontal panels for a tighter canopy, the Flux delivers huge aerodynamic performance gains.
- Rigid Power Handles – Ergonomically angled front and back carbon fibre handles with EVA grip provide maximum control and comfort with incredible feel and response. The front handle mount features a soft bumper to protect your head and board during water starts.
- De-power/Surf Handle – The De-Power/Surf Handle at the front of the Leading Edge offers increased control when flying the wing single-handed and features a soft knuckle padding for extra comfort.
- 20% Lighter and Stiffer Performance Dacron – The 125g performance Dacron of the leading edge is also used in the strut. Combined with the new rigid handles, the connection levels feel like you’re part of the wind!
- Horizontal Panels-Horizontal canopy panels and adjoining seams optimise load distribution through warp and weft of the material, improving feeling and reducing material stretch.
- Easy View Windows – Easy view windows on either side of the strut provide safety for you and others around.
- Anti Flap Fibreglass Battens – Fibreglass Battens strategically positioned along the Trailing Edge improve canopy tension and reduce flutter – enhancing performance, feedback to the rider and reducing canopy material wear.
- Overlap Flat Seams – Overlap flat seam construction improves sail control resulting in an overall cleaner canopy.
- Fast Flow Air Valves – Fast Flow Air Valves on both the Leading Edge and Strut makes inflation, deflation and packing a breeze.
- Unique bladder construction – Our bladders are constructed in-house with advanced custom built welding machines. Double layered sections are applied to any potential wear areas.
- Reinforced Leading Edge and Strut – The Leading Edge and Struts are reinforced in high stress areas to ensure the kite canopy remains in shape and performs at its best.
- Internal reinforcements – What’s on the inside counts too – internal reinforcements for improved strength and durability; such as a Double layered Dacron + Insignia taped Leading Edge closing seam with high strength threads.
- Direct Connect Struts – Our Direct Connect construction method improves load distribution between the Leading Edge, Struts and Canopy. The Struts are connected directly to the Leading Edge with internal reinforcements and external webbing. This unique construction method ensures clean profiles are maintained with the optimum canopy tension
- Low profile aerodynamic Scuff Pads – Leading Edge bumpers are often large and unnecessary cosmetic items. At Ozone we build our kites for performance and durability using the best materials & components available. Any areas requiring scuff protection we use a lightweight durable material with superior abrasion resistance, while keeping a low profile in order to reduce drag and maintain performance.
- Harness Line Connection – A harness line can be attached around the handle mounts or tube for customised rider preference.
- Swivel Leash Line – The Leash Line features a strong Dyneema line with internal bungee core and an ultra light Stainless Steel swivel to keep the leash twist free. It connects to the wings Leading Edge via a loop-to-loop connection and can easily be removed if necessary.
- Wing Waist Strap – The Waist Strap is slim and lightweight with a strong buckle closure and size adjustment buckle. It connects to the Leash Line via a loop-to-loop connection. If you become overpowered or lose control let go of the wing and it will de-power on the Leash Line. Our wings ship standard with a Waist Strap pre-attached to the Leash Line.
- Wing Quick Release – The easy to use Quick Release is for riders who prefer extra security to detach from the wing in a fast and easy way. It is compatible with the Wing Waist Leash or a harness. The Wing Quick Release is sold separately.
|Number of cells
|Projected Area (m2)
|Root Chord (mm)
|Inflation Pressure LE (PSI)
|Inflation Pressure Strut (PSI)